Here are some reasons why volunteering with PMES is great!
- If you are a student, we understand you need hours to graduate and volunteering with PMES is a great way to accomplish that!
- Access to fun filled activities, events with family, friends and fellow volunteers
- Our volunteers come from all over the world including Australia, Russia, Korea, Japan and China. We love our volunteers!
- Each year, our volunteers donate circa 10,000 hours of their time operating the hatchery, conducting water quality testing in our laboratory, participating in community outreach programmes – including our own environmental festival that attracts over 60 organization and 5,500 visitors from Metro Vancouver per year.
- Our volunteers play a key role in the success of Noons Creek Hatchery, including water quality testing, hatchery management, help with the Fingerling Festival, community outreach, invasive plant removals and riparian restoration.
- We recognize our volunteers in a variety of ways including our bursaries, pancake breakfasts, National Volunteer Week activities, and invitations to events organized especially for our regular volunteers. All be we believe that recognition is key to retaining our volunteers and ensuring a happy environment throughout the year.
- Many of our volunteers are students seeking volunteer hours, new immigrants looking to meet friends and become involved in their local community, and retired professionals. Our acknowledgement that everyone leads very busy lives makes us an ideal place for volunteers who cannot make a weekly commitment – students can leave for weeks at a time to study for exams then return, for example.